Rachel Valliere

This blog is to keep up with my year teaching at Bingham Academy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. -RACHEL VALLIERE

Monday, November 28, 2011

Jan. 16th, 2011 - Gibsah (party)


Dear Family and Friends!

Greetings again from Addis Ababa! A lot has happened since my last letter. So where to begin? The weekend before school got out for Christmas break, we had a Christmas Gibsha (party with lots of food) in honor of all the Ethiopian staff on campus. They were all invited to bring their families and let their kids use the playground here and enjoy a great Injera meal together. There about 80 Habasha (Ethiopian) staff on campus (office, classroom, maintenance, kitchen, etc.). So this was a really fun way to say thank you and for us all to have an afternoon together here at Bingham.

The Cross-country season has ended and we hosted a great final League meet for all of the international schools in Addis (about 7). It was so great for me to watch my kids run with all their might as fast as they could after a season of hard work. Currently, tennis continues (8 kids on the team), and so does JV soccer. It is a privilege to coach these teams as I remember the profound impact coaches have had on my life.

I am so thankful for the decision I made, and the opportunity I had to go home for our three week Christmas break. I had such a wonderful and refreshing time at home with my family, friends, the ocean and ice-cream! I didn’t really travel anywhere outside of SLO, therefore I was able to spend good time with my parents, brother and sister.

It already feels like I have been back here for a month. So much has happened in this first week of school. This past week was the Elementary Spiritual Emphasis week, and a team from England came to put on the morning program for the kids where they learned what/who their treasure is and how to look for it. Also, I am teaching middle school now, so I have traded grade 1 for grades 6, 7 and 8. So far I really enjoy it and am excited for the rest of the semester. We are preparing for field day, which is a huge, two-day event for the entire school to have some fun competition (track events) at the end of January.

I am excited about an opportunity this weekend to go up north to Mekele to visit and volunteer at a blind school and orphanage. My roommate Monica, knows a lady from Santa Barbara who helped start the school and came out to visit. So we are going to fly up with her on Friday afternoon for a quick weekend trip.

One of the best friends I made since being here was only here for the first semester, so I am sad that she is gone now. But there are about 5 new teachers (all youngerish ages) that have arrived this semester, so I am excited to get to know them, and hopefully connect with one or two of them. This verse from Galatians 5 has been on my mind the last few days, “…those who reap in the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” May we continue to preserver together as we serve the One who is worthy of our lives as we experience both the trials and joys, confusing times and life-giving times, the disappointments and fulfilled hopes, and the hurt and love that life brings. Praise God is sovereign over all.

Again, thanks for your love, prayers, encouragement and continued support for me as I teach here at Bingham Academy. God has proved so faithful in his provision and love for me. I hope that you too are experiencing the joy and salvation of the Lord.

Blessings from Ethiopia,

Rachel

Praises and Prayer requests

- A great and refreshing time at home

-For safe travels and a good adjustment back in to teaching here at Bingham.

-For a great and safe trip next weekend up north to the blind school and orphanage.

-The 5 new teachers as they learn the system of the school, their students, the city and make friends here. They are from Pennsylvania, Melbourne, Switzerland, and England (2).

-I am leading our 15min. morning staff devotion’s next week, so prayer for the Lord’s leading in what I share.

No comments:

Post a Comment