Rachel Valliere

This blog is to keep up with my year teaching at Bingham Academy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. -RACHEL VALLIERE

Monday, November 28, 2011

May 3rd, 2011 - Southern Ethiopia and a Non-Profit


Dear Family and Friends,

Greetings once again, I hope you are all doing well. As for this update, I must begin with thanking the Lord for His FAITHFULNESS and work both in my life and the lives of those around me. Living in a culture where poverty is constantly in front of me, the electricity regularly shuts off, and donkeys and cows are part of street traffic, the uncertainty of life is very evident and real. It causes me to constantly be reminded of where true peace and joy come from – not material possessions or comfort but the true love of Christ at work in and through us to one another. The kids I teach bring me so much joy and I am reminded that RELATIONSHIPS are what matter to the Lord.

About a month ago was our Spring Break. My roommate Monica and I took the opportunity to TRAVEL SOUTH to Arba Minch, Jinka, and see the Mursi people. We were blessed with a Christian Bajaj (taxi) driver in Arba Minch (which means 40 springs). He took us to the springs, crocodile farm, the airport and around. We visited the local DURZE TRIBE up in the hills where we saw the local market. I have never seen a people be so resourceful in my life. They use every single part of the bamboo and false banana leaf for food, baskets, chairs, local wine, etc. We took a 14-hour bus ride (suppose to be 6 hr.) to Jinka and made friends with everyone on the bus. We taught them some card games when we were broken down, and practiced our Amharic. We saw the Hamar, Bunnee and Mursi people, the latter of whom stretch out their lips, bash out their bottom teeth, and put clay plates in their lip. They also have many other markings and beads all over their bodies (pretty much the national geographic type photos). In Arba Minch we met up with one of our students and her dad who showed us his crocodile farm and the best local restaurants with fresh, full-sized, fried fish – fantastic! So Monica and I had a great break from school, enjoyed hanging out with our student outside of school, and are/were very thankful to see more of the COUNTRY and PEOPLE here in Ethiopia.

The East Africa INTERNATIONAL TRACK MEET was hosted in Addis Ababa at the American school in Addis. Bingham got THIRD place, which was a huge victory for us. The school from Oman won, the American school here got second and we got third. Both of those schools are much larger than we are along being equipped with more equipment. Schools from Kenya, Ethiopia, Oman, Egypt, etc. were present at the meet. Being at a track meet always makes me feel at home, and I loved watching my kids compete!

I am also really excited to be part of helping put on a race to raise money for the blind school we visited up north in Mekele awhile back. The efforts are headed up by Kathleen, a lady in Santa Barbara, who started a non-profit organization called BEAUTY FROM ASHES RISING. Please check out this site!: http://www.beautyfromashesrising.org/ as well as the attached form with more info about the race and details of the race profits.

I am still TEACHING ENGLISH at the Hosanna House, which is a joy. I am not a very good English teacher, but consider myself privileged to be a part of these girl’s lives. The woman, Tirset, who started the home, works for a Satelite Christian radio station in Las Angeles. Here is the link to the radio station and HBN television station if you are at all interested in seeing her work: http://www.hosannafoundation.org/ - http://www.hbntelevision.com/home.html .

Staff meetings, tennis practice, youth nights, Badminton, Injera bo wat, and funny kid comments continue to be a part of my normal life. Check out the new Bingham Academy WEBSITE: www.binghamacademy.net/index.php

And don’t hesitate to update me with your life. I am excited for the upcoming Breathe Conference upon my return home during the end of July, and the opportunity to minister to other missionaries who have been on the field for an extended period of time. THANKS AGAIN for all of your continued prayer and support for me! God alone knows the eternal impact you have made.

Blessings because of Christ,

Rachel Valliere

PRAISES AND PRAYER REQUESTS:

-Safety during times of travel.

-the relationships I have built with the students, co-workers and friends in Ethiopia.

-The opportunity to see the many facets of the Lord’s work here and to be a small part of it.

-My future and what job is next for me. I am open to suggestions/ideas!

-To end well and make the most of my time left here with the students.


http://www.hosannabroadcasting.com/ -

No comments:

Post a Comment