Rachel Valliere

This blog is to keep up with my year teaching at Bingham Academy in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. -RACHEL VALLIERE

Monday, November 28, 2011

September 28th, 2010 - Meskel

“And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.” -2 Cor. 5:15

Dear Family and Friends,

I read this verse this morning and was greatly encouraged. We do not live for ourselves, but for the greatest cause in the universe. This is why I am in Ethiopia. Obedience involves sacrifice and although it’s hard to be away from family and loved ones, strength and life comes from knowing I am serving HIM who ultimately loves me, provides all I need, and is always with me.I hope this letter finds you well and encouraged.

Today is Meskel, an Orthodox holiday where they celebrate the day they think they found the cross of Christ. Needless to say, we don’t have school! So, it’s great to have a day of rest and lesson plans. This weekend, four of us girls got to get away for a two day backpacking trip to a crater lake about 3 hours west of Addis. It was so refreshing to get away from the city, smog and people for a little bit. It was absolutely beautiful and reminded me of a mix between Crater Lake in Oregon, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, and somewhere else that is REALLY green. (I am hoping to create a blog that works here so I can post pictures and those of you who like to follow blogs will be able to!) We had lots of crazy adventures with Ethiopians and communication, riding a boat across the lake, drinking carbonated water from a natural spring, going in a "hot spring" waterfall, being followed by Ethiopian men with horses for miles! trying to convince us that we were tired and needed to purchase a horse ride, and to finish it off, a flat tire when we got back to our car the next day! SUPER fun. Learned how stubborn we as American's are, and how much better life is when you go with the flow, have low expectations, and laugh at your circumstances.

School is going well. I am enjoying teaching basketball right now. It is so much better now that I know the kids names and believe I am forming relationships with them. It’s hard as I only see the kids twice a week. I am SO thankful for the opportunity to teach some of the 5th grade science class as well (twice a week). They have been learning anatomy and it’s great to impart my passion and knowledge of the subject to the kids. (And to be involved in their lives a little bit outside of PE.) Although I am learning and becoming even more convinced of the importance of sport and competition and what it teaches about life, character and attitude. There are many teachable moments about so many aspects of life that come up through competition and physical activity. Lastly, I have two periods of monitoring study hall, which is great to get to know some of the high schoolers. My rule is that they can either do school work, or talk to me. =) So most of the time some put in their headphones and work, and at least one or two who don’t have work to do, or don’t want to work, talk to me. I have learned much about being an MK (missionary kid), and what they like and don’t like about it, along with the advantages and challenges of living abroad.

Anyway, before this gets to long, know that I am SO thankful for you. I would not be here without you. God hears your prayers and I am SO humbled by them!

Here is a picture of us passing out Chickens to families/women on the street for the Ethiopian New Year in September!

Praises and Prayer Requests:

-A good weekend away from the city

-My health has been great (I have only got sick from the food once and have not been sick for any length of time.) It seems that there is always someone (or someone’s kids) on the compound who are sick enough to miss school.

-A mentor or someone older who I can confide in and process teaching and mission life with.

-Continued influence on the kids, and the development of relationships with the other staff here.

For fun:

Some of my kids names: Aku (m), Aiku (f), Eyob, Yeab (m), Yoab (m), Tummo (f), Zoya (f), Shenani (f), Tummo (f), Mariamewit (f), Zoya (f),

No comments:

Post a Comment